Thursday, September 13, 2012

Primeros Dìas


In the first few days here.. wow. So much to talk about. In short, I have learned more, and quicker than I ever have, about culture, language, life, myself, people, etc. I am reminded of when I moved to college. Its a completely new life, and it is a period of self-discovery. Well, of course, all of life is self-discovery, but there are a density of discoveries during this time of transition. 

This is due to a few things. One, it is due to the amazing hospitality that I have been shown by the community. Everyone has helped me get settled in practical ways, as well as encouraging me to share my worries and ask many questions. I give special thanks to my fellow gringo aspirant David, from Pennsylvania, who has been generous in sharing all he has learned about the area as well as some experiences he had upon arrival. Also special thanks to Patrick, who has not only taken much time to show me around the area and discuss different opportunities, but whom I have also experienced a freedom in conversation. He has helped me to learn things ranging from the style and spirituality of the Sodalitium, to politics, to my own identity and life in general. Of course, as I said, all in the community have been very generous. 

Two, I have found most of my conversations to be very refreshing. Now of course, the challenge of communicating in Castellano has drained me entirely at times, but there are many people who also speak some English. I have found ease in connecting with other Sodalits, and especially other aspirants, and it has been very life-giving. 

Three, my castellano is not as bad as I thought. In case you don't know, most of latin america refers to spanish as "castellano", not español (which is of Spain). Anyways, though many conversations around the table I am completely lost, I have also been able to participate in several conversations. And, though painful by the end of the day, most of the learning process I have enjoyed. 


Los Tres Gringos
Four, the style of learning for the Sodalitium is generally throw you in the water and see if you can swim. So, me and two other gringos went around Lima yesterday (Wednesday) learning the combi system (like little buses crammed with people). We also learn to take the metro (a bigger bus) and taxi's. This was basically our assignment. We went to mistura, a peruvian food festival, wear I ended up eating "a different type of ceviche" on television. Yeah, not what I was going for. But this guy and his camera man asked me (Pry because gringos are a show) to eat some ceviche (raw fish usually with lime and onions). After we ate it, he pulled out from behind the counter a giant bull testicle and said, "Guess what you ate!" Yeah well, it tasted pretty good I can't deny it. Anyways, I got to know Carl and Ian who are staying until December, and I guess you could say we got around successfully. Some of the locals were very helpful as well. 

Fifth, the community dynamic is amazing. Everything that I could have hoped to have achieved while living in a Catholic formation house in college, and a little more (which overwhelms me a bit). Then again, we do have a few things already going for us, like the same style and spirituality and discipline :) But, The community life has been very life-giving as well. Meals are always together (well, there are exceptions), and there is always time together at the end of the day. Furthermore, usually there is companionship throughout the day. 

Sixth, very much a surprise for me, is that there is a Sodalit in Lima that runs an architectural firm. I met with him (Mike) today and learned so much. Basically he expresses the Sodalit spirituality in architecture, of which he developed much of. For me, it will be a good opportunity to explore what this kind of apostolate would look like as a Sodalit. They have projects ranging from chapels to houses to pastoral centers to solidarity centers (social services). This is a very unsettled area for me, for many reasons. For one, I used to identify as "one that thinks the Church should sell the Vatican and end world hunger." That was when I thought if I was an engineer, it would be to give people access to basic shelter. I have never really wanted to sit in an office and make bank the rest of my life, so I was also unsure about my major (as an architectural engineer). So, I feel that by accompanying Mike (maybe once a week) I might come to see the beauty of architecture without a hint of Judas (the calculator) in me, and of course not forget our call to the most needy, and thus be more free to discern the calling. Like I said, not something I expected before coming down, but our God likes to surprise us and I feel it would be wise to take advantage of the opportunity.

Lastly, well, I think it would be expected when you are removed from everything that is familiar to you and placed in a new environment. I am loved, and loving it! 








1 comment:

  1. I can´t believe you ate bull testicle ceviche!! On TV! I wonder what channel it was on haha. Sounds like you are really being stretched and thrown around and squished in new places and still able to reflect on it all, which is awesome. And Mistura is a super famous food festival so it´s cool you got to go there! Glad you didn´t get a heart attack driving around Lima :)

    ReplyDelete