Thursday, September 13, 2012

Beinvenida

Well, as you can see I have decided to communicate my experience in Perù (at least for the time being) through this blog. I will try to illustrate my life on a day-to-day basis, and also try express some of my interior life: what moves me, my joys, my struggles, my growth, etc. This is the first time I have blogged, so hopefully I will get the hang of it over time. If you are following, I thank you and you are welcome to ask further questions. I may ask for your prayers from time to time as well... 

Well, I encountered my first trial in the airport in Fort Lauderdale, FL when I attempted to check-in. The man informed me casually that I would not be boarding because I did not have proof I was leaving the country within 160 days (or something). I attempted to explain that I was quite sure it is perfectly legal to enter as tourist and begin apply for a religious visa when I arrive. Well, apparently the rules are "black and white", so I had to buy a return flight in hopes that I would be able to cancel it with a refund (or my family gets a surprise visit). This was Saturday, Sept. 8. Well, we called on Sunday and were able to get a refund without too much trouble. We are still not sure which rules they were looking at, but I can't complain. 

My flights were quite pleasant, other than one flight in which my ears were plugged, my nose was plugged, and it seemed as though my head would explode. When I entered the airport a healthy sneeze solved this problem. I met some cool people on all three flights. My last flight with Spirit airlines, which was super-cheap and thus expected to be a uncomfortable flight, was the most comfortable flight I had ever had. I sat by two moms from Perù and was able to practice my castellano quite a bit. We also were having fun with the flight attendent, who provided us with free snacks and beverages. 

I had a warm greeting from Patrick (who is in charge of the aspirants) and from the rest of the community in Camacho. Then I crashed.



2 comments:

  1. Fortunately I know what you meant when you said "crashed"! Glad to see you have started a blog. I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well glad to hear that you made it! Good luck! Live everyday as an adventure and keep us up to date on how everything is. Oh and if you ever get PKI(home) sick lol I have skype and can give you a tour. haha

    ReplyDelete